Frome RFC II 5 - 31 royal Wootton Bassett RFC II

By Susie Watkins

11th Sep 2022 | Rugby

Match report by Andy Vince

The Frome RFC 2nd XV welcomed Royal Wootten Bassett RFC 2nds to The Lane on Saturday for their second league fixture of the season. Both sides and the crowd carried out a minutes silence in honour of Queen Elizabeth II. 

Frome started the half well and put together some good phases of play, alongside some top tackling, all from a side which saw 6 debuts.

In the set plays Frome held their own, and even managed to push the visitors off their own ball,

but on 13mins, after some sustained attacks a brake in the midfield, followed with some good support play the visitors crossed the line for their first try.

Frome showed great character from the kick off and managed to win a penalty. Captain Ethan White went for the corner, but the line out didn't find its target and Frome missed out on the opportunity. 

Royal Wootton Bassett attacked, but again the defence from Frome was good, with some great tackling in midfield from Centre Garrie Webster, and Winger Sam Cassidy.

On 25 mins Prop, Kieran Storey made way for the experienced Phil Clarke.

The visitors fitness started to give them the upper hand, and as much as Frome tackled they just ran out of numbers and crossed the line again.

Royal Wootton Bassett then sensed that they had the upper hand and pushed hard at Frome's defence, again some great spirit showed by Frome's young back row, of Bailey Brook, Owen Marsh and Christienson who tackled and carried their hearts out.

The visitors attacked again and despite the best efforts crossed the line. The conversion being added.

HT: Frome RFC II 0 - 17 Royal Wootton Bassett RFC II 

Changes were  made at half time with Scrum Half Bryan Loftus making way for his brother Malcom Loftus who went onto the Wing.  Webster refunding to his usual position of Scrum Half, Cassidy moved to Centres. Christienson made way for Jack Carter who moved into Flanker.

The second half didnt start well for Frome when on their first attack, a good dummy by the opposition Fly Half cut through the defence to touched down. The conversion being added.

Good movement by Royal Wootton Bassett held the Frome defence and a long pass wide saw another converted try for the Wiltshire side.

Frome weren't going to give up and kept at the task, with Gordon Grierson leading the way being a constant thorn in the oppositions side.

Debutants Jonathan Harris showcased some great ball carry's and Bailey Brook showing an old head on young shoulders leading the way with great hands and awareness.

Then on 51 mins the highlight for the home fans, when Frome put some phases together and just outside visitors 22, Scrum Half Webster showed all his class when he spotted a gap at the break down, jumping through the gap he sprinted home to touch down. The conversion going just wide.

Both sides continued to attack each other, but Frome's defence held out and the final whistle was blown.

FT: Frome RFC II 5 - 31 Royal Wootton Bassett RFC II 

Player of the Match went to No.8 Bailey Brook who had a fantastic debut for the side. The player from both sides stayed on the pitch following the game to share a glass of Port in honour of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and to raise a toast to King Charles III. 

This Saturday the 2nd XV travel to the coast to face Swanage & Wareham RFC 1st XV. 


Related Articles


Frome Academy looking forward to kicking off the league campaign next weekend back at The Lane


The Frome Under 15’s had their first game of the new season as they travelled across the border to Melksham RFC.

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Frome Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.